Pasalubong is a dreaded word for me. It means heavier, bulkier luggage. It connotes obligation that, when missed, begins a vicious cycle that involves, at different points, sulking and even more pasalubong. It may be that I'm young that way, ignorant and insensitive to this time-honored tradition. Or maybe it's because I've never been the gift-giver. I'm just happy to see people who I hope are happy to see me. No need for a token exchange of, er, tokens.
Still, hard-nosed as I try to be, I usually end up as a perpetuator of the cycle, a bearer of pasalubong. Usually shopped at the last minute, like tonight, as I passed by Ralph's to get cartons of cigs for a friend and cousin. I can't blame them, even I can't believe how much cheaper it is here.
Anyway. I think pasalubong is very telling of the Filipino psyche. It goes back to the 70's/80's when we could only get a taste of America from the PX store. We needed others to bring home the good stuff. And the others, who forsook friends, family and country for greener pastures, had to have something to show for all that. Pride, loss of face, guilt play into the whole thing, contributing to the whole soap opera that is our society.
Also, it's the 21st century. When my mom wanted to pack the freakin' bidet my uncle wanted, I told her we can ship things nowadays. Or these things could be ordered online. I was told that that was easier said than done. What the old folks can't fathom is that while it's still easier to say than do, the doing isn't as difficult as it used to. (As a side note, is there actually anything that's easier to do than say?)
Sigh. Anyway, my luggage is stuffed. I'm actually editing now. In goes the gourmet tuyo, out goes a couple of my t-shirts. The cycle continues. I just want to see you all, and I hope you want to see me too.
Still, hard-nosed as I try to be, I usually end up as a perpetuator of the cycle, a bearer of pasalubong. Usually shopped at the last minute, like tonight, as I passed by Ralph's to get cartons of cigs for a friend and cousin. I can't blame them, even I can't believe how much cheaper it is here.
Anyway. I think pasalubong is very telling of the Filipino psyche. It goes back to the 70's/80's when we could only get a taste of America from the PX store. We needed others to bring home the good stuff. And the others, who forsook friends, family and country for greener pastures, had to have something to show for all that. Pride, loss of face, guilt play into the whole thing, contributing to the whole soap opera that is our society.
Also, it's the 21st century. When my mom wanted to pack the freakin' bidet my uncle wanted, I told her we can ship things nowadays. Or these things could be ordered online. I was told that that was easier said than done. What the old folks can't fathom is that while it's still easier to say than do, the doing isn't as difficult as it used to. (As a side note, is there actually anything that's easier to do than say?)
Sigh. Anyway, my luggage is stuffed. I'm actually editing now. In goes the gourmet tuyo, out goes a couple of my t-shirts. The cycle continues. I just want to see you all, and I hope you want to see me too.
8 comments:
Hey at least you're allowed 2 pieces into and out of the US. Travel between Europe and Asia is insane, only 1 20kg piece, with insane overage fees.
In hindsight, I did love all the Betamax tapes of Saturday morning cartoons that my parents used to bring home from the US for my sibs and I in the late80s/early90s. We were not among the lucky few that had FEN ...
Hey we never got FEN too. In fact, I had no idea what my classmates were talking about when they kept talking about FEN. What's up FEN!
hehe we were lucky to have FEN. pero it was towards the end of its lifecycle since the bases were about to pull out.
but we relished watching wheel and jeopardy at 6:00 p.m. on weekdays and the wwe matches (although grainy in reception) on saturday nights. i still remember the first time i saw the texas tornado in all his sparkly red glory. heheh.
hey, what does px stand for by the way?
Lucky bastard. I had to google it up but PX stands for Post Exchange :)
bon voyage miguel. pasalubong ko ah.
Salamat ha Barry, haha.
Sorry, excuse the nerd in me, but I have to say that this is such a nicely-written post. A sociological treatise on 'pasalubong.' Hehe. =P
Haha, thanks Gina, for liking my rant.
Post a Comment