August 16, 2009

Alec Soth in the NY Times

I almost missed this profile in the NY Times of Alec Soth, one of my favorite photographers. In talking about many things, such as how he broke out with his Sleeping By The Mississippi body of work, his working methods, and his new exhibition, Black Line Of Woods, wherein he surveys the people and places at the fringe of society, Alec Soth is, as usual, candid.

He takes his exhibition title from Flannery O'Connor. He says, "She’s talking about where culture ends, I wanted this work to be about the longing to escape."

Regarding his photo of a parking lot where Olympic Park bomber, Eric Rudolph, was apprehended after five years of hiding, "Even though he was a bad guy, it was this boy fantasy about hiding, and there’s something really romantic about that."

On his knack for photographing people, "My own awkwardness comforts people, I think. It’s part of the exchange."

Anyway, so that's inspiring. I'm in sort of a creative rut. I miss photography. I shoot pictures almost every day for work but I miss taking my own. And when I do take my own pictures, I seem to be horrible at it. So the idea of escape and working on my own is quite appealing to me right now.

Get an NY Times free acount and read the article, Alec Soth, Trolling For Strangers To Befriend.

1 comment:

Barry said...

or you can always go to bugmenot.com for username and passwords to sites that need registration.