I realized that I can blog in spurts.
Finished two easy books since the mind-numbing Cryptonomicon. First, I finished Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. It was all right. I mean it was well-crafted and smart, and I liked the whole Oriental fighting techniques bit. But you know, how far can a pastiche go?
Then I finished reading Black Hawk Down. I didn't realize that reading historical accounts of war, campaigns, and soldiering was an age thing (think dads and their shelves full of WWII books), but I'm willing to accept it. It's a genre that I enjoy. I liked Band of Brothers and Generation Kill. So so far, I'm in the 20th and latter era, modern warfare. But I have a Civil War book and a Battle of Thermopylae book pending. We'll see how that turns out.
When you think about it, Lord Of The Rings was a war book too, except that it was, well, fantastic.
Finished two easy books since the mind-numbing Cryptonomicon. First, I finished Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. It was all right. I mean it was well-crafted and smart, and I liked the whole Oriental fighting techniques bit. But you know, how far can a pastiche go?
Then I finished reading Black Hawk Down. I didn't realize that reading historical accounts of war, campaigns, and soldiering was an age thing (think dads and their shelves full of WWII books), but I'm willing to accept it. It's a genre that I enjoy. I liked Band of Brothers and Generation Kill. So so far, I'm in the 20th and latter era, modern warfare. But I have a Civil War book and a Battle of Thermopylae book pending. We'll see how that turns out.
When you think about it, Lord Of The Rings was a war book too, except that it was, well, fantastic.
No comments:
Post a Comment