April 6, 2009

You know how some people think that the Internet is making us dumb because we're getting all our information in the form of blurbs? The way I see it is if you think you're going to get all you need from a blurb, then you were already stupid to begin with. If you really want to, you'll read the whole article. TLDR my ass.

Anyway, for interesting (long) articles, I've only recently been turned on to the fun that is Wired magazine. I've seen the magazine on newsstands, but I've only subscribed to the online version ever since I was pointed to an article about a ragtag group of salvagers who employ ingenious, high-tech methods to bring hapless, damaged ships safely to port. They make millions for themselves by risking their adventure-filled lives, and Spielberg has probably optioned their story.

Click to read High Tech Cowboys of the Deep Seas: The Race to Save the Cougar Ace.

Also recently they ran a great story about a German board game that has revolutionized the pastime: Monopoly Killer: Perfect German Board Game Redefines Genre. Apparently these Germans are big on board games. I take exception to the anti-Monopoly slant, but it still makes for a great read.

There's a newer article out that I'm just about to read: Beating Somali Pirates At Their Own Game.

And finally, while technically not an article, but still fun: 10 Best Geeky Last Words.

No comments: