April 30, 2009

eating frozen yogurt at the steps

I always like talking to my friend, P. Conversations with her usually cover stuff that I don't usually get to talk to others about. Like tonight, at the back steps of of some Makati building, after getting some frozen yogurt, we talked about how, coming from our particular generation, we tend to think that we can do anything. But now that we're a bit older, we shed our dreams one by one, and stick to one that we hopefully can be good at. We're still undecided if that's a tragedy or natural function of being excellent (at one thing).

Anyway, we decided that Things We Can Never Do would make good material for, say, a specialized blog. It's just a list of things we wanted to do but can't now. With reasons and qualifications, of course.

The first thing that came to mind was that I could never be an astronaut. The reason being that I'm not a Russian billionaire who can afford to be a space tourist, and I don't have the educational background to make it to being a crew member. (What is a payload specialist?) However, this should be qualified by saying that, in a couple of decades, space tourism might be possible, and I can find myself among the stars.

But there are many things that I still hope to do. I still want to make a film, show more photography, write fiction, and build well-designed houses. I'm not trying to be a dilettante or a dabbler. Don't you need to be well-off to be one? But these things aren't outside the realm of possibility. I just need to start on something and, as P would say, enjoy the process.

PS. K suggested a blog on irrational fears. That's kind of fun too.

4 comments:

D said...

blog on irrational fruits - can i guest post and talk about my lifelong phobia of fruits?

p.s. what IS a payload specialist..? we have a high school classmate who now works at NASA. maybe i should ask her.

mignac said...

Yes Donna! You came up in that conversation about irrational fears, haha. Pati ba naman canned fruit?!

Please ask your NASA friend what a payload specialist is!

BTW, panalo Celtics mo. Tss.

Confession Nook said...

frozen yogurt is good..
astronaut eating frozen yogurt..better...you will never know...=)
i always wanted to be a chef..pero mahal ang proper culinary studies..but then passion as it is..i somehow managed blogging about food..
nice blog you have here.=)

mignac said...

Thanks acdee! Nice photos on your blog. I want to eat them all!