A friend of mine brought it up after seeing Benjamin Button: Did forty-year-olds in the 60's really like The Beatles?
I don't know. But it makes me wonder, what the freak did my parents, who were in their teens in 60s, listen to? Did they ever like music the way I like music? If ever, when did they stop listening? And did their music ever inform their adulthood?
Speaking of adulthood, when I was younger, I often wondered what ever did make old people seem so terrified. It was like life had given them so much cause for fear. You could see it in their eyes when they ask you to come home early, to stay away from certain people, to do what they do.
That was just two years ago. Nowadays, I'm slowly coming to grips with the terror of life myself. And I wonder if I can, if haven't been yet, make it out unchanged.
Maybe not, because as it is, I've gone soft. I like early nights just after one drink (or no drink). I watch, or at least say I'll watch, what I eat. Staying in is suddenly always appealing.
Going soft also means suddenly liking black and white photography again. Or finding nice photos nice. And then there's also liking old OPM. I've been meaning to look for Odette Quesada and Ric Segreto lately. Maybe these things were always cool and being young just made you want to push the boundaries a bit. And getting old is all about self preservation.
I don't know. But it makes me wonder, what the freak did my parents, who were in their teens in 60s, listen to? Did they ever like music the way I like music? If ever, when did they stop listening? And did their music ever inform their adulthood?
Speaking of adulthood, when I was younger, I often wondered what ever did make old people seem so terrified. It was like life had given them so much cause for fear. You could see it in their eyes when they ask you to come home early, to stay away from certain people, to do what they do.
That was just two years ago. Nowadays, I'm slowly coming to grips with the terror of life myself. And I wonder if I can, if haven't been yet, make it out unchanged.
Maybe not, because as it is, I've gone soft. I like early nights just after one drink (or no drink). I watch, or at least say I'll watch, what I eat. Staying in is suddenly always appealing.
Going soft also means suddenly liking black and white photography again. Or finding nice photos nice. And then there's also liking old OPM. I've been meaning to look for Odette Quesada and Ric Segreto lately. Maybe these things were always cool and being young just made you want to push the boundaries a bit. And getting old is all about self preservation.
2 comments:
I wouldn't go so far as to call them "cool". More like "not as embarrassing as some people think".
Yeah, I said cool in a weak, mortal moment. "Okay naman parin pala," would have been more accurate.
Post a Comment